The Wolwedans Desert Academy is a vocational training provider accredited by the Namibia Qualification Authority (NQA) and registered with Namibia Training Authority (NTA). It is located at Wolwedans in the heart of NamibRand Nature Reserve (Hardap).
The Desert Academy is a Wolwedans Community Development Project that has over the last twelve years graduated 300 graduates through the Wolwedans Foundation. The success of this training programme vests with “the living classroom” approach, a dual system where theory and practical exposure are carefully balanced.
We thus hereby invite 16 young applicants for admission for a next round of training. Applicants must be passionate about hospitality.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND DURATION:
This is an eleven- month long Level 2 “Accommodation and Food & Beverage Services” Qualification (Q0276).
Upon successful completion of Level 2 Course, an 18-month long Level 3 programme begins, either in the field of Food & Beverage Services (Q0010) or in Commercial Cookery (Q0011).
Theory and practical training is provided at Wolwedans, hence trainees must be prepared to stay in the desert for ten consecutive weeks at a time. There will be a two weeklong break in between as well as longer December holidays (except for internships during the final year of the training program).
Transport to/from Windhoek to Wolwedans as well as boarding will be provided as part of the course.
- Minimum: Pass in Grade 10 (preferably Grade 12)
- English proficiency and Communication Skills (speak | read | write)
- Basic numerical skills ( highly required)
- Applicants must be 18 – 24 years of age
- A positive attitude and friendly personality (a must in the hospitality industry)
WHO SHOULD APPLY
- Anyone who meets the above admission’s requirements
- Unemployed Namibian Youth with “fire in their belly” and a burning desire to advance themselves in life
- Youth from socio economically disadvantaged backgrounds ( due to proximity those in the Hardap and Karas region are highly encouraged to apply)
- People with disabilities, and who are from marginalised communities are encouraged to apply and will be given first preference provided they meet all other admission’s requirements.
Please note: If you don’t fit the above criteria, you are still welcome to apply as there will be four additional ‘seats’ for trainees who can afford to pay a monthly training fee.
Which documents must accompany my application?
- A completed application form
- A handwritten motivation letter (why you?) not exceeding one A4 page. Take a photo of your letter for online application
- A Detailed CV with head & shoulder photograph
- A Copy of ID/Passport or any other official form of identification
- A Certified Copy of Educational Qualifications
- A working mobile phone number
- Indicate current place of residence and region in your CV
Applicants failing to submit or follow instructions as required under Heading 4 (1-7) will not be considered.
- A once-off NAD 200.00 fee is payable upon admission.
- A Decent hostel accommodation as well as food vouchers for the Wolwedans Canteen are available for all sponsored trainees.
- A tuck-shop for other daily necessities is available on the premises.
Please submit your application (entailing 1-7 above, so take a photo of your letter if need be) by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also deliver by hand to our office at:
No. 2 Mozart St, Corner Hosea Kutako St, Windhoek, or send by Nampost addressed to: Wolwedans Foundation | Desert Academy Recruitment | P.O. Box 5048 | Windhoek | Namibia
Studying in a pristine natural environment off the beaten track at Wolwedans, you can focus on what matters most – your education. Doing so without any survival worries and literally free of charge (incl. free board and lodging for 30 months) thanks to the Social Security Commission Development Fund is really is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and a special privilege. We look forward to receiving your application. Only serious candidates will be considered.
Thanks to the Social Security Commission-Development Fund for this ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ opportunity and special privilege. We look forward to receiving your application. Only serious candidates will be considered.
CLOSING DATE (EXTENDED): 30th JULY 2021
Please click on the link below to download the application form.